Thursday, June 4, 2009

bienvenidos.

over the past 5 years i've had 6 different addresses.

in considering this recently, i began to think of the neighbors i've had, and those i've never met. i made a promise to myself to find a unique way to meet my neighbors with every new place i move- a welcoming pineapple. my mom told me once that the pineapple was a traditional symbol of welcome, and so i did a bit of research.

after hesitantly discussing the idea with my roommates (this would their first experience of my spontaneous creativity) over dinner and martinis at three monkeys, they were thrilled. after we got home i walked a half a block to shields market (my choice fan market) and picked up one of the spiky fruits.



I then drafted and wrote a brief note, on the back of a picture of the richmond skyline, and attached it to the pineapple.


and left it on my neighbors' porch.


as of 0900 hours, the pineapple was still patiently waiting on the welcome mat.

No comments: