Tuesday, February 24, 2009

no need for frommer's.





one of my best friends is studying abroad in florence this semester. how we managed to miss each other by about 2 weeks in europe i still don't understand, but regardless, i've been living in her sporadic emails and pictures and losing myself in all of her experiences.

she emailed me about 2 weeks ago and all she said was,
I'm going to Barcelona from Feb. 24-27
We're staying at Barcelona Sound Hostel.
Tell me everything that you know.


i waited about a week to respond, not wanting to open my moleskin journal from last semester, shuffle through all of my scribbled addresses and jotted down memories. finally i resigned myself to write her the most honest account of the way i saw and felt the most amazing city i've ever lived in.

i sat outside on my porch in one of those random 70-degree-days-in-february we often see in virginia and wrote her a very personal 6-page travel guide, complete with directions, menu suggestions, bartender names, and anything else i could think of.

i cried through most of it, but when i was done i couldn't help but feel satisfied that i spent 4 months in barcelona and truly felt every part of the city.

if you find yourself traveling to spain anytime soon, or with some extra cash and a thirst for adventure, download my itinerary and enjoy.

1 comment:

Froglan said...

Liz,

You still have your knack for notes. Something led me to this. It may have been the decade we've gone without actual contact, or the quality of your work, but at any rate you've got something special here. Life has changed us both in insane, amazing ways and I'm sure you're just as grateful for that as I am. Still, to this day, you are a ghost to me. Everywhere I go, your name comes up in all sorts of context and yet, when questions are directed my way I have nothing to say and that makes me sad, but in a good way. Don't lose that. Don't mind the bullshit and keep up the Good Work.

send word,

Bergamo.