Thursday, January 21, 2010

word quota.

i feel like i wake up each day with this underlying word quota. not so much thoughtless words, but the ones that you think over, say in your head first, compose onto paper and then scratch through, rearrange, toss and start over again and again. for this, there is a quota. a creative word quota.

and thus, my pleasant agony of being a reporter for my university's newspaper. i love the excitement of being connected with so many students, the pride i see in someone's eyes when their life is featured in a story, the thrill of seeing my name under that story at least twice a week.

however, most days i'll have an idea that won't leave my head without a fight, and i'll race home to develop it with a combination of words in my own style, only to be left with a series of jumbled characters and twice as much backspacing. i sigh, and watch another day go by, postless.

for my ongoing list of words with obligatory priority, click here.

No comments: